Police Stop Joyce Banda Rally in Dowa
The police in Malawi on Saturday stopped Vice President Joyce Banda from holding a political rally in Mponela Dowa citing the volatile political situation.
Banda, expelled from the ruling party for refusing to endorse the President’s brother to take over power in 2014, runs her own opposition People’s Party.
“All was set to conduct a rally in Mponela after the district commissioner had already authorized us, but we had a shock of our time when we received a letter from the same DC, saying we should cancel the rally due what he called the current volatile political situation,” said Stephen Mwenye, the party’s spokesperson.
The development comes days after the police in Lilongwe blocked UDF presidential candidate aspirant, Atupele Muluzi from holding rallies in Lilongwe, leading to clashes between the police and supporters.
A police station was set ablaze and Mr. Muluzi was arrested but was on Saturday midnight given police bail. - Zodiak Online
|< Prev||Next >|
Other Political News
- Lucius Banda Back in Politics, Joins People's Party
- Botswana Bashes AU over Al-Bashir
- DPP Tears Apart Mozambique Power Deal
- Govt Borrows US$12 from Saudi Fund
- President Must Hire or Fire Their Vice – Justice Minister
- Political Will on National Registration Impresses NRB
- Malawi Nodes to Gay Marriages
- Another Confession: Lipenga Says Bingu Rushed on Shire Waterway
- JB Institutes Committee to Probe Lipenga
- I Will Quit Politics in 2014 – Goodall Gondwe