Mbuna Fishing Chinese Nabbed in Mangochi
Four Chinese men are in police custody in Mangochi in Malawi on suspicion they illegally entered Lake Malawi National Park and stole an endangered fish species.
The four were arrested on Sunday by park officials. They are said to have entered the park around Cape Maclear and were caught fishing Cichlid fish, locally called Mbuna.
Mangochi Police spokesperson, Inspector Roderick Maida, says there will only be an official comment on the matter when investigations are exhausted on the issue.
But a park official who confided in us identified the four as Jiang Hai aged 19, Hong Peng Don aged 38, Woo Zhuo, 40 and Chui Xu aged 51.
They were found with a fish trap, a bucket containing live Mbuna fish and a plastic bag containing some dead fish.
According to the source it was the community who alerted them about the Chinese, who booked themselves at one of the lodges at Cape Maclear from where they went fishing.
Latest from Raphael Mlozoa
- Man Arrested for Illegal Possession of Medical Drugs Worth Millions
- CM Joseph Nyambalo Shines at Octagon Tower Chess Tournament
- Presidential Taskforce on Covid-19 and Cholera Hailed MRCS Cholera Interventions
- Teenage Sex Worker Jailed for Stabbing Fellow Sex Worker
- Hilal Africa Brings Life to Forgotten Communities