Court Nullifies Parliamentary Election Results
The High Court in Blantyre on Friday nullified Mangochi West Constituency parliamentary elections results.
Justice Sylvester Kalembera has ordered the Malawi Electoral Commission (MEC) to hold a rerun in the constituency.
The petitioner in the case, Simeon Harrison, challenged the declaration of the Democratic Progressive Party’s Jeffrey Chiwondo as winner.
“This court has found that the elections were not free, fair and credible. There were irregularities and inconsistencies which affected the will of people,” said Justice Kalembera.
Justice Kalembera said there was contradicting information on the results.
He said MEC Chief Elections Officer (CEO) gave conflicting results in his testimony.
Justice Kalembera said the MEC CEO failed to disclose the official results sheet.
“The petitioner has proved to the court that the election results were tampered with especially at Makunula polling centre where a presiding officer was replaced. We believe the irregularities affected the results hence nullification of the poll results,” he said.
Independent parliamentary aspirant for the area, Simeon Harrison, has been challenging MEC for declaring Chiwondo as eventual winner in the May 21 polls when the final tally showed that he actually trailed Harrison with one vote.
Latest from Alfred Guta
- MACOHA Tips Humanitarian Actors on Disaster Response Targeting Persons with Disabilities
- Climate Smart Public Works Program Second Cycle Targets Over 14,000 Beneficiaries in Nsanje
- Friends of Makhanga Pen Nsanje DC over Relocation
- Graft Whistleblowers Demand Protection
- Action for Rural Development for Improved ECD Services in Nsanje