Judge Kenyatta Adjourns Hearing of Area 18 Sewage Contaminated Water Case to Later Date
The High Court in Lilongwe has adjourned hearing of the Area 18 Water contamination case in which Leonard Phiri and others are suing government parastatals; Lilongwe Water Board, Lilongwe City Council and the Malawi Housing Corporation over consumption of sewage contaminated water in 2017.
Area 18 Water Contamination case is expected to go back to court on 17 and 18 August 2020 after Judge Kenyatta Nyirenda adjourned the hearing on 8th July.
Justice Nyirenda shelved the case to next month after it transpired that lawyer for the Lilongwe Water Board, failed to appear before court yesterday.
The Area 18 victims, over 1300 in total, are seeking 4 million kwacha each as compensation for taking unhygienic water on the 18 July 2017.
Lawyer for the victims Wapona Kita confirmed the development saying they respect the grounds for the adjournment as the absent lawyer is reportedly sick.
The victims were expected to parade their witnesses on 8th and 9th July.
Latest from Linda Tembo
- C.C.A.P General Assembly Defies New Covid-19 Gazzetted Rules
- Department of Civil Aviation Discussing Possibility of Reopening Airports
- RBM Maintains Policy Rate at 13.5%
- Central Region Police Re-Strategizing to Regain Public Trust and Rebuild Lost Relationship
- DPP Refutes Claim It Plundered 1.3 Trillion Kwacha of Public Resources