Chefo Aides Dowa Hunger-Stricken Families
On Sunday, Members of Chewa Heritage Foundation-CHEFO-led by chairperson, Professor George Kanyama-Phiri, made available maize flour to hunger-stricken households in Traditional Authorities Kayembe and Dzoole in Dowa district.
The gesture follows prolonged dry spells that affected most crops during last growing season which left many households food insecure this season.
Professor Kanyama-Phiri told Zodiak Online that the Chewa king, Kalonga Gawaundi, is worried about the situation that has hit many parts of Malawi.
“The donation is made following advice from Kalonga Gawaundi, who is greatly concerned with hunger situation in the country,” said Kanyama-Phiri.
Traditional Authorities, Kayembe and Dzoole, commended Kalonga Gawaundi for the gesture saying it will go along way in relieving people who are heavily affected.
Senior chief Dzoole has since called on other organizations and individuals of goodwill to come forward with support as the situation in his jurisdiction is indeed dire.
“There are still so many people who require and deserve assistance,” Dzoole said.
CHEFO made available a total of 220 bags of maize flour to the needy in the area.
Latest from Aunyago Nkhoma
- Nation- wide Teachers' Sit-in Turns Nasty As Angry Learners Take to The Streets
- Kanyenda Chieftaincy Wrangle Rages in Nkhotakota
- FPAM UPs Contraceptive Use in Dowa As Abortion Sours Among Youths
- TUM Insists; Sit-in Proceeding Despite Government Pleading for Rethink
- Country-wide Teachers' Strike Over December Salaries Beginning Monday