Tubers Kill 3 in Chikwawa
Three people from the same family in Chikwawa have died after eating poisonous wild tubers as hunger is reportedly causing havoc there.
Some villagers, Fred Khaiya and Chikumbutso Ndawanje told Zodiak on Friday afternoon that the three, a mother and her two girls opted to eat the tubers after staying for some days without food.
They said on Thursday, the mother decided to go and uproot the wild tubers to prepare them for the evening meal.
The villagers added that out of four family members, one girl refused to eat the tubers.
"After taking the meal, two girls started vomiting and later died at home while the mother died at Mfera health centre on Friday morning," said Khaiya.
Police and Health officials have confirmed the incident.
Chikwawa Police Spokesperson Sargent Dickson Matemba has since advised communities to desist from eating tubers and other wild fruits which they are not sure of.
Many families in Chikwawa are still struggling to get food as they experienced low yield because of harsh climatic conditions.
Latest from Christopher Sande
- Mother Care Groups Applauded for Enhancing Immunization
- Oxfam, Hygiene Village Project geared to curb Cholera
- Double Trouble for Malawi's LGBTQI+ Community
- FEDOMA Pushes for Urgent Assenting of Persons with Disabilities Bill, 2023
- Farmers, Authorities Take Action to Overcome Effects of Cyclone Freddy