Child Killed in an Inferno

Police say the boy died while receiving treatment at the hospital Police say the boy died while receiving treatment at the hospital - file photo

A seven-year-old boy has died in Mangochi after sustaining severe burns following fire that gutted down his parents’ house on Friday.

According to Mangochi Police deputy spokesperson, Sub Inspector Amina Tepani Daudi, the child died while receiving treatment at Zomba general hospital, Saturday where he was referred.

Tepani Daudi said the victim and his 2-year-old sister were left alone at the house after the parents had gone out for business, leaving them with an elder sister who also later on, left the house to clean kitchen utensils at the lake.

“The kids later started playing around with matches, so, one of the lit sticks fell on a sofa sparking fire that razed the sitting room before spreading to one of the bedrooms,” said Tepani Daudi.

She said well-wishers rushed to rescue the two but the victim was trapped as he hid under the bed, so, it took some time for people to rescue him and sustained severe burns on the stomach and thighs.

“The boy was rushed to Mangochi district hospital and later referred to Zomba General Hospital for further medical attention where he died while receiving treatment,” explained Tepani Daudi.

Meanwhile, the police are appealing to parents and guardians not to leave their young children unattended since they need parental care, guidance and close supervision.

Read 399 times
Login to post comments
Go to top
JSN Time 2 is designed by JoomlaShine.com | powered by JSN Sun Framework