Man Convicted for Escaping Police Custody
Nsanje Magistrate’s Court has sentenced 21-year-old Kavuna Black to 2 years imprisonment with hard labor for escaping a lawful custody.
Magistrate Watson Mankhanamba convicted Kavuna who was among the 10 suspects who bolted from police custody on the night of January 8, 2021.
Nsanje Police Public Relations Officer Sub- Inspector Agnes Zalakoma told Zodiak online, the convict was arrested for robbery with violence and malicious damage.
She said “while waiting to be taken to court, Black was on the night of 8 January,2021, among the ten suspects who escaped from the custody.
“Police launched a manhunt for the escapees and Black was re-arrested by Criminal Investigations (CID) personnel following a tip off from community policing forum," she said.
According to the Nsanje Police Public Relation Officer, Black is now a third escapee to be arrested since the incident.
The convict hails from Mtasa village, in the area of Traditional Authority Makoko, in Nsanje district.
Latest from Alfred Guta
- Minister Concedes Nsanje-Marka Road was Poorly Designed
- Chikwawa Court Fines Zimbabwean for Causing Death
- DoDMA Keen on Bridging Disaster Preparedness Gaps
- DoDMA Wants Cyclone Freddy Survivors Relocated by End of August
- Govt Allocates K6 billion Towards Repairs to Tropical Cyclone Freddy Damaged Structures