Man In for Cultivating Indian Hemp
Police at Monkey-bay in Mangochi district are keeping in custody a 69-year-old man for illegally cultivating cannabis sativa popularly known as Chamba.
Eastern Region Police Headquarters, Assistant Public Relations Officer Sergeant Tionge Kayenda, says the suspect had about two acres of the illicit plants.
The suspect has been identified as Shabani Laiti, of Mtemwende Village in the area of Traditional Authority Nankumba in the district
“Police received a tip-off from some members of the community that the suspect was cultivating the hemp at his farm and on the night of April 4 to 5, 2021, Police raided his home and upon visiting his farm, they found approximately two acres of Indian hemp,” said Sergeant Kayenda.
He said police uprooted the hemp which will be sent to Bvumbwe Research Station for examination.
“Meanwhile, the suspect is in custody and is expected to appear before court soon where to answer a case of cultivating Indian hemp without permit,” explained Kayenda.
Latest from Raphael Mlozoa
- Headteacher Jailed 3 Years for Swindling Examination Fees
- Forget About Adherence To Farmgate Prices Without ADMARC - MEJN
- Woman Arrested for Impersonating Military Officer
- CfSC Blames Unaccountability and Politicizing Projects for Hindering Development
- Albarakah Charity Trust Supports 600 Cyclone Freddy Survivors in Mangochi