Court Discharges Akster’ Trafficking and Sexual Abuse Case
The Limbe Magistrate’s Court in Blantyre has discharged a case in which a Dutch, Wim Akster, was answering on human trafficking and sexual abuse charges.
In his ruling on Friday afternoon, First Grade Magistrate Tsoka Banda said it was unreasonable that the state took two years to commence prosecution of the matter; hence, the discharge.
The case attracted scores of people who gathered at the court on to follow the case.
In his 20-minute ruling, First Grade Magistrate Banda whose laptop had earlier on Wednesday crushed and postponed his verdict, said it was unreasonable that the state delayed to commence prosecution of the case for two years.
However, to the surprise of State Lawyer Victor Jere, wondered why the ruling suggested the case has dragged on for two years, yet the suspect was only arrested in September last year.
“We are just surprised with the ruling because our files show that the suspect was arrested in September 2020 and not two year ago,” said Jere.
Jere said he will re-file the case on Monday.
“A discharge is not an acquittal,” stated the lawyer.
Akster who was being accused of sodomizing 9 males for bursary favors from Timotheos Foundation found the charges as outrageous aimed at tarnishing his reputation.
“I am happy that justice has prevailed. I ask non-governmental organizations to make thorough investigations before starting such cases.
Rights groups leaders who are following the matter said they will not relent to pursue justice.
“We will continue to follow this issue until this man is imprisoned,” explained Memory Chisenga of Eye of the Child.