Woman Dies in Sand Mining
A 34-year-old woman has died while her two friends have escaped with minor injuries at Monkey-bay in Mangochi after a wall of sand collapsed on them at a place they were doing sand mining.
Eastern Region Assistant Police Public Relations Officer, Sergent Tionge Kayenda, who has identified the deceased as Chimwemwe Yamikani Banda, said the incident happened on July 7, 2021, at Chizula village.
“On that fateful day, Banda together with her friend went to an area within their village where people used to fetch dambo sand for selling or decoration of their houses.
“They both entered into a hole where an escarpment of the soil from above crushed and trapped them,” explained Sergeant Kayenda.
she said Banda died on the spot while her friend escaped with minor bruises and postmortem results at Monkey-bay community hospital revealed that death was due to suffocation.
Banda hailed from Msauka village, Traditional Authority Malengachanzi in Nkhotakota district, according to Kayenda.
Latest from Raphael Mlozoa
- Man Arrested for Illegal Possession of Medical Drugs Worth Millions
- CM Joseph Nyambalo Shines at Octagon Tower Chess Tournament
- Presidential Taskforce on Covid-19 and Cholera Hailed MRCS Cholera Interventions
- Teenage Sex Worker Jailed for Stabbing Fellow Sex Worker
- Hilal Africa Brings Life to Forgotten Communities