21 Years IHL for Defilement in Thyolo
A 32-year old man, Nelson Masukali, has been sentenced to 21 years imprisonment with hard labor (IHL) in Thyolo for defiling his 14-year old step-daughter.
Thyolo police station prosecution officer, Felix Senzani told the court that on 6 July this year, the convict who was staying with his wife in Mangochi came in the district and defiled the girl.
Senzani said after the victim reported the matter to police, she was told to go to the hospital where results came out positive.
Appearing before the court, he pleaded guilty to the defilement charge.
In submission, the state prayed for a stiffer punishment, for being an irresponsible father.
He added the convict needed that since the cases are very rampart in Thyolo.
However, in mitigation the convict asked for leniency because he is the breadwinner and first offender.
Senior Resident Magistrate Assunta Maxwell while concurring with the state for a deterrent sentence, said the gravity of the offence surpassed the mitigation factors and ordered him to spend the next 21 years in jail.
Masukali comes from Tsoka Village, Traditional Authority Thomas in Thyolo district.
Latest from Beston Luka
- 11 Arrested in Thyolo for Alleged Rail Materials Theft
- NLGFC Approves Funds for Case Management on Unpaid Mthandizi Participants in Thyolo
- Thyolo District Council Needs Funds for Case Management of Unpaid Mthandizi Participants
- NLGFC Probes Alleged Thyolo GESD Mess
- FAO Extension Workers Go 9 Months Without Allowances