DoDMA Responds to Neno Disaster
The Department of Disaster Management Affairs (DODMA) has responded to the Neno disaster that has so far left 129 families without food and shelter.
Neno district council disaster desk officer Brighton Mphinga says the items which include bags of maize, black plastic rolls and kitchen utensils will be distributed starting tomorrow on Thursday.
"We are happy to have this swift response today and these items will be distributed in Chirombo, Galeta and Wilimu villages which have been heavily affected," said Mphinga.
He further called on well-wishers to come to the rescue to the affected as the items given could not entirely brought back the people to their normal lives.
"We still call on people of goodwill to assist these people as time is not on our side, especially at Ntengula in the area of Senior Chief Symon," he said.
Another assessment at Ntengula village in the area of Senior Chief Symon where lightning killed two people is underway.
Several houses have been destroyed with property worth million lost.
As a way of making disaster response work easy, Beyond Our Hearts Foundation with funding from Save the Children-Italy yesterday revamped the Neno district Technical Working Groups (TWG's)
Beyond Our Hearts Foundation project coordinator Pemphero Nkhata says the teams are key in making sure that all sectors that might be affected by a disaster are well taken care of.
"This has resulted in constitution of clusters today Thursday, that will be tasked to respond promptly to a particular disaster through our Localization project," narrated Nkhata.
The Clusters include that of communication, health, education, logistics and emergency and maintenance among others.