Govt Sends MoU to Mutharika Family on Mausoleum Take-over
The Ministry of Tourism said it has sent a draft Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to the Mutharika family regarding the transfer of management of late Bingu wa Mutharika's Mpumulo wa Bata Mausoleum in Thyolo.
Monument and culture director, Dr. Lovemore Mazibuko, told Zodiak Online on Wednesday that they are waiting for the family to give a go ahead and sign the agreement.
Dr. Mazibuko said the agreement has an opinion on how goverment should take-over the take-over the Mpumulo wa Bata Mausoleum for the country’s third leader.
"We came up with a draft agreement which ought to be signed by the two parties in which we are requesting that the property should be transferred to government so that it owns and manages it as it is the case with Kamuzu mausoleum", said Dr. Mazibuko.
But a family member, Arthur Masamba says they are yet to receive the agreement while spokesperson for Bingu's brother, former president Peter Mutharika, Shadric Namalomba was not immediately available for a comment.
"We have not received the MoU yet. So let's wait before commenting", said Masamba.
Last year, President Chakwera ordered the take-over of the Bingu mausoleum, to honour the former president, late Professor Bingu wa Mutharika.
Late Bingu died on 5 April 2012 while in office after he suffered a cardiac arrest.
Bingu and his wife Ethel lie at a private mausoleum situated in Ndata farm in Thyolo under the Bineth Trust.
Latest from Beston Luka
- Authorities in Thyolo Reopen Nsuwazi Primary School
- Thyolo Agriculture Office Staff Want Chief Agriculture Officer Transferred
- 11 Arrested in Thyolo for Alleged Rail Materials Theft
- NLGFC Approves Funds for Case Management on Unpaid Mthandizi Participants in Thyolo
- Thyolo District Council Needs Funds for Case Management of Unpaid Mthandizi Participants