Floods Kill Child, Injure Three In Nsanje District
A girl child has been killed by floods while three other people have been injured in Nsanje district after walls of the houses collapsed following rains upstream.
Nsanje District council spokesperson, Martin Chiwanda, says a detailed report on the extent of damage is expected out on Wednesday.
“One life has be lost in Nsanje because of floods while other three people have sustained serious injuries,” said Chiwanda. He explained that the girl was swept away by Nyankotola River on Monday in Chimombo area.
“She met her fate when she was trying to cross the river,” stated Chiwanda.
The body was recovered later down-stream and has since been buried.
In the neighboring Chikwawa district, floods have also damaged a multi-million Kwacha Dyke that was constructed near Sekeni village.
This has made hundreds of people from Sekeni and surrounding villages to be affected by floods as most houses have been occupied and surrounded by water.
Latest from Christopher Sande
- Mother Care Groups Applauded for Enhancing Immunization
- Oxfam, Hygiene Village Project geared to curb Cholera
- Double Trouble for Malawi's LGBTQI+ Community
- FEDOMA Pushes for Urgent Assenting of Persons with Disabilities Bill, 2023
- Farmers, Authorities Take Action to Overcome Effects of Cyclone Freddy