Dr Chakwera Sworn-in as 6th President of the Republic of Malawi; Promises to Uphold Rule of Law
The newly-elected president of the Republic of Malawi, Dr Lazarus Chakwera, has been sworn in at a colourful ceremony held at BICC in Lilongwe this morning.
Newly elected Vice-President Saulos Chilima was also sworn in at the ceremony presided over by Chief Justice Andrew Nyirenda.
In his speech, Dr Chakwera said he will work towards uniting Malawi, despite that not everyone voted for him, adding that transforming Malawi is not on his agenda.
Madalitso Phiri witnessed the ceremony and here is the report.
Meanwhile, partners in the Tonse Alliance say it is their hope that the administration of government will improve under the leadership of Dr. Lazarus Chakwera.
Professor John Chisi of Umodzi party and Mark Katsonga Phiri of Peoples Progressive Movement cited corruption and abuse of public resources as some of the evils the new government must work on to develop the nation.
Latest from Madalitso Phiri
- Experts Question Police Professionalism
- K100,000 Tax Free Band to be Effected by Parliament
- Presidential Powers’ Reduction Overdue-Says Legal, Governance Expert
- Former President Peter Mutharika: Election Results Not a True Reflection of The will of The People
- MEC Declares Dr Chakwera Winner of Tuesday Presidential Poll