Polytechnic University Hostel Up in Flames
Nyika, a student's hostel is up in flames at The Polytechnic University in Blantyre where riot police are trying to bring calm among irate learners who were attacked by armed thugs last night.
Riot police were called in early morning today after the students run amuck in protest against inadequate security after the attack in the night.
The students invaded the Masuko Chipembere Highway in a show of dismay at what happened.
Police moved in to clear the road of barricades that had been erected for free traffic floor.
It is not yet clear what has caused the fire although there are unconfirmed reports that it started from a teargas canister which police fired in the direction of the hostel to disperse the protesting students.
Latest from Gabriel Kamlomo
- Majete: The Sole Malawi Big-Five Destination Named Wildlife Reserve
- MultiChoice Africa Withdraw DStv Services in Malawi, Describes Malawi Hostile Business Environment
- MBS Yet to Be Notified on Govt Intent to Import Controversial Fertilizer
- Agilitee Set to Invade Malawi with Green Energy
- China Facilitating Visa Provision to Foreigners Who Have Taken Chinese Covid-19 Jab