What is “Stop Nkhanza”?
Zodiak Broadcasting Station is implementing a comprehensive media awareness campaign to target the duty bearers, communities, the youths, women and men, boys and girls on dangers of gender-based violence and how to fight it, the effects of inequality and how to end it.
Radio programs and village discussions will be recorded in various settings with an aim of appreciating progress being made on issues of fighting inequality and gender-based violence in their respective areas.
Despite advances in gender equality over the last decade, Malawi ranks 145/188 on the Gender Inequality Index (GII), reflecting high levels of inequality in reproductive health, women’s empowerment, and economic activity. Additionally, violence against women and girls and harmful practices remain serious, also, the country has a lot to do in terms of women empowerment. Low representation of women in politics is also critical as it contravenes the country’s Gender Equality Act which prescribes that one gender should take no more than 60 percent of public leadership positions. The SADC Protocol on Gender and Development stipulates a 50:50 ratio, despite all that, out of the 193 parliamentary seats in our National Assembly, 44 seats are held by women representing 22.79%, posing a challenge to maximum representation and deliberation of women and girls’ issues.
WHAT THE PROJECT PLANS TO ACHIEVE BY THE END OF THE DAY
1. Helping the general public understand issues of gender, gender-based violence and inequality in the country;
2. The effects of gender-based violence to individuals and both household and national development;
3. The effects of inequality;
4. The importance of promoting educating for the girl child beyond primary school;
5. The importance of promoting and empowering women in different areas;
6. The important roles women play in the development of the households, their communities and the nation at large;
7. The role of parents and guardians on education of children;
8. The role of the society in ending gender-based violence and inequality.
Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter – on our handle @StopNkhanza . Or subscribe to our WhatsApp Broadcast by sending the word “Add” to +265 997 932 888 to get daily messages from us.
Like our posts and share them with your friends. We can end gender based violence and social injustices together.