Mzuzu Mayor Arrested for Rape
The police in Mzuzu have arrested city councilor Gift Desire Nyirenda for allegedly defiling his 14-year-old niece.
According to Mzuzu Police spokesperson Inspector Paul Tembo, the incident occurred during the night of 1st and 2nd August at Nkhorongo location in Luwinga.
The victim (name withheld), a standard seven-year-old girl, was sleeping with the suspect's daughter in his uncle's home when she was raped after the mayor switched off lights.
According to a police officer, the suspect defiled the victim five nights in a row, each night more than once.
The police have also accused the mayor’s wife and a housemaid of attempts to conceal the matter by ordering the girl to leave the house after the reported to them.
The victim is being held at Mzuzu Police Station VSU. The victim was examined at Mzuzu Health Centre, and the results were said to be positive.
The suspect has been arrested and will appear in court soon, said Inspector Tembo.
Nyirenda is councilor for Luwinga Ward.
Latest from Online Journalist
- Jehovah's Witnesses Share Messages of Hope at Continental Hockey Tourney
- Zomba COSs Planning Next Steps After Thursday Violence
- SAA Suspends Flights to Malawi
- Malawi Takes the World by Storm: Scorcher's Cosafa Victory - A Tale for Women Pursuing Their Dreams
- How Jehovah’s Witnesses Are Instilling Kindness in Their Children