Vicious Dog Kills Toddler in Lilongwe
The family of a 10-year-old girl who was killed by a guard dog at Crossroads complex in Lilongwe has moved to open a case against the dog handler and his company.
Ellen Chawanda was walking by with her elder sister enroute from visiting a relative at Maula Prison when she was attacked.
Lawyer Gift Katundu of Kita and Company has confirmed being approached to represent the family in a case to seek justice.
He says after postmortem results, they will likely open a case of negligence.
Earlier, Lilongwe Police spokesperson Hastings Chigalu told Zodiak Online the dog escaped from his handler, Mtalison Damiano, of Safeguard Security Services and had no mouth muzzle.
He said the dog was being kept at the police station pending further action.
A family member said the body of the girl will be taken to Blantyre from Kamuzu Central Hospital on Wednesday for burial in Machinjiri township.
Latest from Online Journalist
- Jehovah's Witnesses Share Messages of Hope at Continental Hockey Tourney
- Zomba COSs Planning Next Steps After Thursday Violence
- SAA Suspends Flights to Malawi
- Malawi Takes the World by Storm: Scorcher's Cosafa Victory - A Tale for Women Pursuing Their Dreams
- How Jehovah’s Witnesses Are Instilling Kindness in Their Children