APM Writes Judicial Service Commission on Ansah Resignation
Presidential press secretary Mgeme Kalila says President Peter Mutharika on Tuesday wrote the Judicial Service Commission requesting submission of names of nominated judges to be considered for appointment as Chairperson of the Malawi Electoral Commission-MEC.
“The communication was dispatched to the Commission through the OPC on Tuesday the 26th of May, 2020,” says Kalilani.
Meanwhile, Kalilani also says President Mutharika has written political parties entitled to contributing names for consideration as members of the Commission to “submit names of individuals to be considered for appointment as members of the Electoral Commission.
“The President has informed the political parties that the names of the nominees should reach his office atleast before the end of this month of May, 2020,” says Kalilani.
This is coming at a time the country is grappling with adherence to orders of the Supreme Court for fresh presidential election to be held within 150 days from February 5, 2020.
Parliament, which is expected to set the date for the election, shall be meeting for seven weeks beginning June 5.
The courts found that the May 2019 presidential election was mismanaged by a Commission which was incompetent.
Latest from Online Journalist
- Prophetic Ministry Share Breakthrough Under a Theme ‘A Day Of Revival Fire’
- Ex MRA Deputy Director General Mbilizi Released on Bail
- ADB Predicts 3% Post Covid-19 Africa Economic Growth in 2021
- Acting Vice President- Agriculture, Human and Social Development
- Yutong Provides Support in Pandemic Prevention for Africa Public Transport