Girl,17, Dies in Alleged Attempt to Abort 5 Months Pregnancy
A 17-year-old girl has died last night in Dowa after allegedly taking fumigation tablets to abort a five months pregnancy.
She died while receiving treatment at Dowa District hospital and currently, the body is at Dowa District Hospital pending postmortem.
Dowa Police Spokesperson Sub-inspector Gladson M'bumpha says the 17-year-old girl, Tiyanjane Banda allegedly agreed with her boyfriend, only identified as Bester, a taxi driver, to take six fumigation tablets to abort a five months pregnancy.
However, the girl took only two fumigation tablets last night.
According to M'bumpha, the girl started feeling unwell and was taken to Dzaleka Health Centre for medication.
She was later referred to Dowa District hospital and died while receiving treatment at the facility.
Meanwhile, police have launched a manhunt for the taxi driver.
The deceased came from Besela Village traditional authority Msakambewa in Dowa.
Latest from Aunyago Nkhoma
- Dowa Women Construct 1100 Cor-belled Latrines to Sustain ODF Environment
- Christian Organisation for Orphans Trains 60 Orphaned Refugees on COVID-19 Prevention
- COVID-19 Cases Rise Again,120 New Cases Past 24 Hours
- Mponela Police Arrest Boy, 17, For Alleged Sex Assault of Woman, 80
- Rwandese Immigrants and Dzaleka Refugees Tussle over COVID-19 Funds