Chakwera Orders Removal of MANEB Top Management
President Dr. Lazarus Chakwera has ordered that top management at Malawi National Examinations Board MANEB be removed following the leakage of Malawi School Certificate of Education examinations.
“Whatever the motives this is clearly a deliberate act occasioned by elements of criminality, impunity, and negligence that cannot be allowed to continue,” said Dr. Chakwera.
In his address at Kamuzu Palace in Lilongwe, Thursday morning the President also ordered MANEB to administer fresh MSCE exams by end of January and not March 2021, describing the leakage as unacceptable.
On Wednesday, Minister of Education Agness Nyalonje told a press briefing that government will need about four months to prepare for the examinations, after announcing the cancellation.
The President has also given a number of deadlines to senior government officers to ensure they bring sanity to government operations.
“I am giving the Minister of Education one week to work with MANEB to identify and discipline either the people who did this or the officers whose negligence allowed this to happen,” he said.
He said laxity and impunity among government officials have for so long negatively affected public services.
The President has since given cabinet ministers, boards of government parastatals, and all-controlling officers until the end of this year to either promote professionalism in the public sector or leave.
Latest from Winstone Kaimira
- Councils’ Performance Challenged
- Public Hospitals Operating With Old & Faulty Surgery Equipment,Lives of Patients at Risk
- AAM Petitions Ministry of Health on Welfare Concerns for Members & Patients
- Southern African Chief Justices Against Decision for Placement Chief Justice & Judge Edward Twea on Leave
- MEC Acknowledges June 23rd as Date For Fresh Presidential Election