Debt Chokes LL Immigration Dept From Issuing Passports
Operations at the department of immigration and citizenship services in Lilongwe have been disrupted as the institution has stopped issuing passports for over three weeks.
The hiccup is a result of running out of ribbons and films which are used when printing travel documents.
While acknowledging the development, spokesperson for the department Martin Gongolo was quick to mention that suppliers have been engaged to supply the materials.
Techno Brain Global FZE is the supplier of passport booklets to the Malawi Government and it sources the booklets from Vienna, Austria.
The glitch is happening two years after government entered into a 47.4 Billion Kwacha contract with the company to upgrade the country's passport issuance system and introduce electronic passports.
Techno brain General manager Tiwonge Mwandira has declined to comment on the matter directing us back to the immigration department.
Despite the contract ending in 2022, Zodiak understands that Techno Brain has stopped supplying the materials due to government’s failure to pay the company.
The department issues around 400-500 passports daily.
Latest from Alinafe Mlamba
- Michiru Hill: Battle Ground for Conservation and Economic Survival
- Pinnacle Financial Services Spreads Christmas Joy at Queen Elizabeth Central Hospital
- Government Directive Spurs Street Vendor Influx in Blantyre
- Mudi Sacco Sets the Pace with WhatsApp Chatbot for Enhanced Member Services
- ACB DG Urges Private Sector Involvement in Combating Corruption